Thursday, August 28, 2008

Press...

Bicycle Shop Opens in Highland Park

By Wayne Sheets Contributing Business Writer

Elkins' newest bicycle sales and repair shop opened on Aug. 18. Joey's Bike Shop, owned and operated by Joey Riddle, is located at 101 Johnson Ave., in Highland Park.

According to Riddle, he has been working on bikes of all makes and models since graduation from Buckhannon-Upshur High School in 1996.

"I worked for Fat Tire Cycle for seven years before its owner closed the Elkins store," Riddle said. "When I lost my job with Fat Tire, my wife and I decided to leave Elkins, but we couldn't find a buyer for our home.

"That turned out to be our good fortune, I suppose, because we didn't want to leave Elkins anyway," Riddle said. "So I decided since Elkins and the surrounding area doesn't have a bike repair facility, I would open my own."

Joey's Bike Shop is located just 300 yards from the Allegheny Highlands Rail Trail, and Riddle says that makes it convenient for people who might have a bike problem, or simply wish to come by for a visit.

"I am negotiating with the KHS Bicycle Company for the right to be a dealer for their line of bikes," Riddle said. "We should have all the necessary arrangements completed within the next two weeks."

According to promotional information, the KHS Bicycle Co. is headquartered in Rancho Dominquez, Calif., and bills itself as the "Biggest Little Bicycle Company in the World." It manufactures road, track, mountain, tandem, folding, cruiser and youth bicycles as well as Manhattan Cruisers and Free Agent BMX bikes.

"With the many years of experience in sales and repair of bicycles that I have, I look forward to serving the biking needs of our community and surrounding area," Riddle said.

The shop is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Saturdays hours are from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The shop is closed on Wednesdays and Sundays. Appointments may be made for the days that the shop is closed and after regular business hours.

For more information, call Joey's Bike Shop at 636-0219.

No comments: