Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Food Storage

5 Quarts of Organic homemade applesauce

Tuesday I loaded up my old kona "Sunny" and we went apple pickin. I rode down to the rail trail and picked a bunch of apples. Three and a half Kroger bags. Joey and I spent the afternoon peeling and coring apples. Cooked up some apple sauce and canned it. 5 quarts of apple sauce for all those apples. wow they sure do cook down! I can't stand to see food go to waste. It is pretty amazing no one pays attention to the amount of fresh produce in the neighborhood. So soon I'll be making some more applesauce soon. It will be nice to have a little food storage when the price of food skyrockets this fall/winter.


On Saturday Joey and I went up to camp to get in some good riding and to relax. Sunday we rode up to Spruce Knob/Huckleberry Trail, picked Huckleberries. Finished up on Seneca creek trail and then hurried back to camp to do some more blueberry pickin with my mom and dad. 11 more lbs. Totaling about 38lbs of blueberries for the season. We how have a freezer full of blueberries, huckleberries, black raspberries, and blackberries. More jelly/jam making in the near future.


Organic jalapenos and banana peppers from the garden

Sheep buddies at camp peeking out around fence

peace,

Mandi

No comments: