Monday, March 29, 2010

Almost garden time


Starting seeds is my cure for the winter time gray. Last month I started most of our seeds. We enjoy raising all our vegetables from organic biodynamic open pollinated seeds. We order from Bountiful Gardens. I believe they are the best seed company around.
We also ordered two pear trees for the yard, I hope they produce enough to eat and preserve for winter.
Something new we are trying this spring is a raised bed with a hoop cover made of remay. This insect cover will provide a little frost protection but most importantly protect from the nasty pests. Maybe someday we will have our soil healthy enough where we won't have pests to deal with. More companion planting this year should also make a big difference.
I'll follow up with pictures as the hoop house takes shape.

Mandi

No comments: